In 1900, the city of Antwerp bought 54 hectares of the Hoboken Polder for 45,000 Belgian francs (1,115 euros) and in 1902, the construction work began. The ground was raised by 1,5 metres, and small channels and streams were rerouted, and the existing straight quays were lengthened by a kilometre. In 1904, a tram line from the city was opened, and along with it came rail lines and the Kiel train station, which was built specifically for Petroleum Zuid (Petroleum South). The wharf was also built, and on 16 August the first oil tanker moored. By the end of 1904, the basic infrastructure on 30 hectares of the terrain had been completed.